Develop the skills and knowledge to become an excellent mentor
Reasons for attending
Mentoring is one of the most rewarding personal development opportunities for managers and leaders at all levels, resulting in tangible improvements in individuals’ performance and leading to better working relationships in organisations. It is a valuable and effective learning and development tool for both mentors and mentees whereby an experienced person provides guidance, support and advice to someone who is keen to improve their skills and knowledge. The role of mentor is an important one and a good mentor can be instrumental in developing not only a mentee’s skills and knowledge but also their behavior and attitudes. Gaining the skills and experience of mentoring would also be a useful addition to your CV.
This course is for those new to a mentoring role, either formal or informal, or those who would like to review, refresh and fine-tune their mentoring skills as part of their own personal development. It will arm you with the understanding, skills and confidence needed to carry out a mentoring role within College, help you develop your mentoring style and enhance your career as a mentor within the workplace.
For organisations introducing or reviving a mentoring scheme and looking to build a mentoring culture within College, this course will support you in giving staff the skills they need to implement a sustainable and successful scheme.
What this programme is all about
This focused and highly practical course considers all you need to become an effective mentor. It outlines the ethos, expectations and boundaries of mentoring, and gives opportunities to consider and practice essential mentoring skills. Knowing how to pace the relationship, handling difficult emotional issues and get the support you need to be a good mentor are all addressed. At the end of this course you will have a clear set of guidelines and principles for your mentoring sessions and a set of tools and techniques to help you deliver exceptional mentoring support with confidence.
During this programme you will learn
- the roles and responsibilities of mentoring
- how to identify your strengths and style as a mentor
- practical communication techniques – reflection, questioning, feedback
- the Do’s and Don’ts of mentoring
- contracting – agreeing boundaries, responsibilities and working methods
- approaches to goal setting, clarifying expectations, monitoring and reviewing
- how to handle difficulties – emotions, conflicts, resistance
- how to apply the skills in practice
- Increased job satisfaction and personal motivation
- Effective personal development for senior staff
- Increase in performance
- Achieving potential
- Better working relationships
Duration: 6 hours
Fees on application
Mulberry Lawn, Quay Lane, Brading, Isle of Wight PO36 0AT
Reg in England 3959853 VAT No 757 594 085